At the request of the Minister for Lands the PLB has recently concluded a series of consultation workshops. Information gathered from the pastoral industry during these workshops has informed the PLB's advice to the Ministers for Lands and Agriculture in the paper Priorities for Strengthening the Economic Viability and Ecological Management of the Pastoral Estate.
The recommendations made by the PLB include:
- creating a strategic vision for the pastoral industry
- improving security of land tenure for pastoralists
- introducing a risk based approach to assessing applications for diversified economic activity on pastoral leases
- introducing a new optional lease type which would enable more diverse activity on pastoral leases
- developing a land condition monitoring system that assists the State Government as land owner and pastoralists as land managers, to acquit their respective responsibilities
- developing a program to assist Aboriginal pastoralists to better realise opportunities for economic, environmental and social benefits.