Appeals and compensation

Find out about the right of appeals to the Governor, and how land acquisition in Western Australia can give way to a claim for compensation.

Appeals to the Governor

Legislative overview

A structured right of appeal to the Governor against a decision of the Minister is set out in Part 3 of the Land Administration Act 1997 (LAA).
This right of appeal is only available in five specific instances:

  • Forfeiture provisions (Section 35 LAA)
  • Abandonment of a pastoral lease (Section 133 LAA)
  • Cancellation of easements (Section 145 LAA)
  • Setting of purchase price on surplus acquired land being disposed of (Section 190 LAA)
  • Removal of unauthorised structures (Section 272 LAA).


All types of land and interests in land, including Native Title rights and interests, can be taken for a public work (a project carried out by the State on behalf of the community, such as the construction of new infrastructure).

However, the procedures for taking (the term used under the Land Administration Act 1997 in lieu of 'resumption' or 'compulsory acquisition'. It relates to the taking or acquisition of interests in land, whether by agreement or compulsion) are different for each type of land affected by a Taking Order.
Where land or interests in land are taken by the registration of a Taking Order, all rights and interests affecting the land are converted into a claim for compensation.
The acquiring authority or proponent is responsible for meeting compensation. The issue of compensation may be taken to the State Administrative Tribunal. 

Legislative overview

Section 51(xxxi) of the Australian Constitution expressly empowers the Federal Parliament to make laws for the acquisition of property. This power extends to any State or individual property in respect of which the Commonwealth Parliament has a law-making function.

The High Court decision of New South Wales v Commonwealth (1915) 20 CLR 54 held that the sovereignty of each State Parliament empowers it to take or acquire land with or without payment of compensation.

The power vested in this State to take land or interests in land is set out in Part 9 of the LAA and the compensation entitlement of owners of interests in land taken under Part 9 is set out in Part 10 of the LAA.

Page last reviewed 22 November 2018
Go toTop of the page