The department’s South West Settlement team is tasked with the identification and allocation of land to facilitate the creation of the NLE.

The process for identification, selection and allocation of land is set out in the Noongar Land Base Strategy. This process is being undertaken in conjunction with the South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council.  

The NLE will be held by the Noongar Boodja Trust and the State Government will transfer:

  • up to 300,000 hectares of land allocated as reserve or leasehold and
  • up to 20,000 hectares of land allocated as freehold for cultural or economic development use. 

See the Noongar Land Estate Factsheet and the Land Access for other provisions created to improve Noongar people's access to land.

Management of the Noongar Land Estate

The Noongar Boodja Trust (NBT) will own and manage freehold land like any other private land owner and must meet the standard land holding costs associated with freehold land, including local government rates and charges, insurance, fire service levies, and any additional land management costs.
The Noongar Boodja Trust will, in collaboration with the Noongar Regional Corporations, and other appropriate Noongar governance structures, decide whether the land allocated will be for cultural or development purposes.

Cultural land

The NBT will hold and manage cultural land, in consultation with and on the recommendation of the relevant Noongar Regional Corporation(s), in a manner that has regard to the spiritual and cultural connection of the Noongar Agreement Groups to their traditional lands. Cultural land cannot be sold or commercially developed. Standard State Government land management requirements apply.

Development land

The NBT will hold, manage, invest and develop development land in consultation with the Noongar Regional Corporations and an investment committee, in a manner that will generate financial benefits for the Noongar Boodja Trust Future Fund. The investment committee will be established by the NBT to provide guidance on investment decisions.

Further information

More information can be found on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website. 

Any enquiries on the identification and allocation of land under the South West Native Title Settlement can be directed to the department

Page last reviewed 15 January 2019
Go toTop of the page