The role of the ACMC is to:
- evaluate on behalf of the community the importance of places and objects alleged to be associated with Aboriginal persons
- where appropriate, to record and preserve the traditional Aboriginal lore related to such places and objects
- recommend to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs (Minister) places and objects which, in the opinion of the Committee, are, or have been, of special significance to persons of Aboriginal descent and should be preserved, acquired and managed by the Minister
- advise the Minister on any question referred to the Committee, and generally on any matter related to the objects and purposes of this Act
- perform the functions allocated to the Committee by this Act
- advise the Minister when requested to do so as to the apportionment and application of moneys available for the administration of this Act.